Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Obit - Effie Justice Staten

This is the obituary for my mother's stepmother....
EFFIE STATEN
Effie Staten, 71, of Delbarton, died Saturday, November 7, 1998, in Mingo Manor Nursing Home, Williamson.
Born January 18, 1927, in Delbarton, she was a daughter of Robert A. and Alkie McFadden Justice. 
She was also preceded in death by son, David Alfred Justice, brothers, Green and Joe Justice. She was a homemaker and member of the Varney Church of God.
Survivors: husband, Oliver Staten, Delbarton; stepson, Dallas Staten, Delbarton; stepdaughers, Joan Harlan, Nashville, Tenn., Billie Brown, Silver Spring, Md; brothers: Johnny, Clell, and Frank Justice all of Cleveland, Ohio, Earl Justice, Romulus, Mich., Robert, Archie, Ben and Hiram Justice all of Delbarton; sisters, Mary Taylor and Connie Cates, both of Cleveland, Ohio: and several step grandchildren.Funeral: 2 p.m. Monday, Nov.9, 1998, Chafin Funeral Home Chapel, with Revs Gary Bo Starr and Bill Snodgrass officiating.
Burial: Justice Cemetery, Delbarton  
Pallbearers: Friends and Family,Visitation: 6-9 p.m. Sunday Evening at the funeral home. WILLIAMSON DAILY NEWS
Mom and Effie did not get along very well, and uncle Dallas and Effie got on even LESS well than that. According to my mother (Billie Brown - although I prefer to call her Billie Holladay because I don't want to acknowledge her association with her second husband Dennis Brown), Dallas refused to go into the house when he went to see Oliver (their dad/my granddad). I'm not quite sure why; Mom never told me what happened between Dallas and Effie that made Dallas want to not associate with her at all. 

I do remember Mom mentioning David Alfred to me when we did talk about her past and Effie's past as well. I do not know why David Alfred died - whether it was an accident of some kind, or an illness, etc. No clue.

I only met Effie maybe once or twice in my life; we just never got back to West Virginia to visit with that side of my family. Access to the Holladay family was always easier than it was to the Staten side. So I don't even remember what Effie looked like. I think Mom said she had red hair.

I find it interesting that she's buried in Justice Cemetery. I wonder how that cemetery came to have her name.

But yes, there's a little tidbit of my family history right there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment